Saturday, March 1, 2008

something

I have so many thoughts floating around in my head lately. The problem is, half the time im a hypocrite for being or acting as the same things I am criticizing. Why cant we seem to understand that Jesus is the point of everything? There are "Christians" who only think that the Old Testament was inspired by God, and not the New Testament. Why do people dislike singing old hymns from "Songs of Praise" songbooks? Its because they are "boring" but it makes me wonder, if they really knew Jesus would they still think that way? The fact is, those songs were written by real people who poured their heart and soul into their songs because they truly knew Christ. I understand that doctrine shouldnt change but cultural standards and beliefs will. Open fist closed fist, good. But sometimes it seems like we overthink and miss the whole point. Jesus. And why do I have such a hard time motivating myself to have a relationship with Him? I am critical of the church, I am critical of everything and the change must start with ME. Thank God that Jesus is the only one who can change me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts! Keep thinking that way.

James & Andrea said...

I remember thinking that about the songs once while I was having a rough time on the field. I was really sad and began singing a song to cheer myself up, and I realized that I was not alone. Someone at sometime had felt the same way about God and their situation as me! I wish I could remember the song, but I'm pretty sure it was a golden oldie. It really touched me and I've never looked at the songs in the song book again. Someone, at sometime, felt those thoughts and feelings towards God. It's almost like praying a prayer that someone else wrote down! Just saying the words does nothing. Praying in consent and JOINING the prayer is everything. It's the same way with our songs and the words in them.

Great thoughts, Ben. I really hope you write about camp adventure next!

Andrea