Monday, February 18, 2008

Crazy Walk


Hey everyone. I just came inside from one of the craziest walks of my life. I had just left the house to go down to the pharmacy to draw some money out for my rent, which is due tomorrow. Well I got down to the corner and some of my neighbors were outside talking, so I told them good evening, etc. Two of them went inside their houses, but one of them, a lady I have known since i arrived here, stuck around. She is in her 50's, knows both Spanish and English perfectly, and is usually really friendly. After she started talking to me, it was obvious to me that she was very drunk at this point. I had already known that she struggled with drinking, so it didnt come as a huge surprise to me. But the next 15 or 20 minutes or so were very crazy. She began to tell me how she wanted to kill her dog and then take her own life with a pistol that she keeps in her house. She said she is tired of life, that when she goes to America, the people treat her like a Mexican, and when she is here in Mexico, she is treated like an American. She is tired of bad things happening to her, because she thinks she is a good person. She also continued to explain to me how she is a lesbian, and no one will accept her for who she is. She wanted me to go into her house, and I hesitated but eventually went in. She began to cry and ask me how I knew God and am so young, but why hasnt she found him? She let me pray with her, but even as i was leaving, she kept telling me she was going to kill herself. My point is this... some people in this world just need a friend. Of course we want everyone to know Jesus, but sometimes, we have to accept them for who they are, in this case a suicidal, drunk, lesbian. I told her that even if know one else does, I love her, and so does Jesus. By the way, the girl in my picture if my friend Nadia from church, NOT the lady whom I mentioned in the story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have been praying for your friend.

Zack said...

We're praying for this lady. That must have been really scary for you. Yes, I completely agree that we need to love and accept people right were they are in life. Thanks for sharing. God bless you and the work your doing in Leon.

anniekatejones said...

ben, i'm so glad God has put you on my team. God is definitely using you here.